Saturday, August 1, 2009

Mind Map: Static Versus Dynamic Technologies



As differentiated in the reading. Moller (2008) makes a clear distinction between static and dynamic technologies. To begin, static technologies are ones that I believe many educators can feel comfortable with incorporating their use in the classroom. The reason being focuses on the fact that static technologies "mimic the traditional classroom or teacher-led instruction" (Moller, 2008, p.1). As detailed in the mindmap, many of the static technologies/medias seem not to be that complicated by nature. In a way, they also allow the educator some control in how they are used to transmit knowledge. But transmitting knowledge can be done a variety of ways. On the other end, is the idea of dynamic technologies. These technologies may be more complicated but they also allow the user a degree of personal freedom over their learning experience. For example, Elluminate is a great tool for both students and teachers. While it does seem to have a static avenue to allow the teacher to communicate content information to the students, it can also be used to divide students in to break out groups and have them lead themselves in a monitored discussion. Even just surfing the Internet for resources can be considered dynamic because the learner has the capability and freedom to discover new sources of information.

Based on what I have learned in this course so far, I have many tools that enable me to move my classroom toward the dynamic end. I have learned about various new technologies that allow me to do so. But even more important, I think that this class has helped emphasize the importance of support that will allow me to do just that. For example, using Skype to communicate with classmates has given me the opportunity to build meaningful relationships with colleagues. This support system makes me comfortable in trying new dynamic technologies in the classroom because I can seek advice.


References
Moller, L. (2008). Static and dynamic technological tools. [Unpublished Paper].
Laureate Education, Inc. Retrieved August 1, 2009, from
http://sylvan.live.ecollege.com/ec/crs/default.learn?CourseID=3476918&Survey=1&47=3679118&ClientNodeID=984645&coursenav=1&bhcp=1

1 comment:

Peggy Creighton said...

Erin,
I agree that many educators seem to be stuck on static technologies. However, dynamic technologies are taking over the Internet, so I think we will see the transition anyway.